The History of Mercy Gilbert Medical Center
Since opening our doors in June 2006, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center’s services have maintained steady growth to keep pace with the Town of Gilbert’s ever-growing population and medical needs. In April 2009, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center opened the doors on its second expansion project. The latest phase of the hospital's growth added two operating rooms and 24 beds to the third floor of Tower B. This addition brings the hospital's total bed count to 212, maintaining its status as Gilbert's largest hospital.
In addition to our recent expansion, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center has achieved significant milestones and received impressive accolades from the community. Among them are:
No. 1 Small Size Acute Care Hospital – Arizona Business Magazine’s Ranking Arizona: The Valley’s three Dignity Health hospitals were voted number one among acute care hospitals, according to the 2007 and 2008 Ranking Arizona Business Poll. Each was recognized as the best in its respective size category.
No. 1 Healing Hospital™ in the Nation – Baptist Healing Trust: The Baptist Healing Trust announced Mercy Gilbert Medical Center’s rank as first on its national list of Healing Hospitals™. The Healing Hospitals™ list recognizes hospitals that have made a commitment to provide Radical Loving Care, which focuses on caring for caregivers who, in turn, do an extraordinary job caring for patients.
One of the “Best Places to Work in the Valley” as compiled by the Phoenix Business Journal: The Phoenix Business Journal and BestCompaniesAZ, the co-founder of the Best Places to Work list, announced that Mercy Gilbert Medical Center has been ranked 7th on the 2010 list of large Arizona businesses comprised of more than 250 employees.
While Mercy Gilbert Medical Center has a relatively short history, Dignity Health has a long history of serving the healthcare needs of Arizona communities. In fact, our own St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center was the first hospital in Phoenix. In recent years, Dignity Health has gained international renown for our Barrow Neurological Institute, a leader in treatment of brain and spinal cord diseases and injuries. In the East Valley, our Chandler Regional Medical Center has been serving families for almost 50 years. We also provide outstanding healthcare services at Urgent Care centers in Ahwatukee Foothills, Gilbert and Queen Creek. The Mercy Gilbert name honors the Sisters of Mercy, our sponsoring congregation. The Sisters of Mercy was founded in the early 1800s in Ireland by Sister Catherine McAuley who had a special love for the virtue of mercy.
The Sisters' philosophy is based on the Judeo-Christian ethics of faith and love, and is expressed in service, compassion and the recognition of each person's basic human right to be treated with dignity and respect. The Sisters of Mercy first came to the Valley in 1892 to build Sacred Heart School in Phoenix. It wasn't long before they took up another cause: to care for the tuberculosis sufferers who often died alone. The Sisters were so moved by the sick that in 1895 they opened Arizona's first hospital, St. Joseph's Hospital.
Under the sponsorship of the Sisters of Mercy, and in response to the changing needs of the people of the East Valley, Dignity Health hospitals offer quality and compassionate care within the Dignity Health values of:
- Stewardship and
In keeping with Mercy order's commitment to healing, we are dedicated to providing programs that foster wellness of body, mind and spirit.